Depending on the future use of the reclamation are and the thickness of the fill, mud waves may result in inadequate fill mass properties and create a risk for structures to be built on the reclamation. Clearly preventing mud waves is may be a necessity.
Mud wave prevention
Mud waves, instabilities and /or inclusions of soft material within the fill need to be prevented if most cases. Measures to prevent mud waves include:
- using a spreader pontoon can decrease the induced shear stress by reducing the lift thickness, making a lift of a uniform, limited thickness;
- reduce the slope angle of the fill;
- remove the inclusions of soft compressible materials mechanically with a hydraulic excavator;
- surcharge areas with inclusions;
- improve the quality of the soft materials by soil improvement techniques; and/or
- remove poor quality materials prior to filling.